Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:52:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Repost] Bad superblock errors on Libretto

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Doug White wrote:

dwhite> > I sent the attached E-mail the other day and didn't get any responses, so
dwhite> > I figured I'd give it one more try.  One thing I didn't mention before was
dwhite> > that the two of us that are having problems have loaded the PAO
dwhite> > extensions...
dwhite> >
dwhite> > fsck'ing with backup block 32 just makes stuff worse.  Any hints/ideas/???
dwhite>
dwhite> My guess is that you have some maurading disk corruption.  Do you have
dwhite> FreeBSD installed in dedicated or compatibility mode?

It's in compatability mode; I'm running Windoze '95 in another partition.
The problem appeared on one of my co-worker's system soon after installing
the PAO stuff, so we're wondering if there are any known problems with PAO
vs. Libretto.  Meanwhile I can't seem to recover the disk (fortunately
after the first time I started doing checkpoint backups - unfortunately
you have to have a bootable system with a clean file system to do a
restore.  Sigh...) and was wondering if anyone else had found a way around
this.

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |