Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Steve Shorter <steve@nomad.tor.lets.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM exhaustion and kernel hangs

:Howdy!
:
:	I have diskless frontends and would rather kill processes than
:swap over NFS. I am running 4.3-SECURITY, and about every 2-3 days
:the machine hangs, vmstat shows page scans (sr) going through the roof secounds
:before it becomes unusable. I understand from reading the freebsd-stable
:archive (circa May 2001) that there is a bug in the vm around killproc,
:which causes kernel lockups before processes are killed. Has this been
:fixed yet in stable, or is there a patch/fix or other work around other than
:adding more RAM?
:
:	For you additional info I have 256M RAM and NO_SWAPPING defined in
:the kernel.
:
:
:	Your shared experience/knowledge is much appreciated.
:
:	Please Cc me personally with any responses.
:
:	thanx - steve

    Yes, we believe that problem has been fixed.  It probably isn't in
    the -SECURITY release.  I would recommend that you play around with the
    latest -stable on one workstation and see if that solves your problem.

    You might also want to try to figure out what is eating up the memory
    (or, more specifically, dirtying memory since clean file-backed pages
    would not lead to this situation).

						-Matt