Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 16:34:15 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs problem

In article <Pine.BSI.3.94.970408153912.3861A-100000@militzer.me.tuns.ca>,
Antonio Bemfica  <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> > FreeBSD-current now uses secure ports by default.
>
> And what would be the proper way to reconcile this new behaviour with the
> requests by clients that want access through insecure ports? I'm having
> problems with amd, and would not like to just "make it work" now when
> there is a recommended way of doing it (especially if it will get "broken"
> again the next time I recompile the system).

You can either configure the clients to use reserved ports,
or you can configure the server so that it doesn't require them.
To make a client use reserved ports, just add the "resvport"
option to its mount command lines, or to your amd map file:

  /defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}
  *               opts:=rw,grpid,resvport

This option has already been added to /usr/src/etc/amd.map, by the
way.

Somebody else on this list recently described how to change the
server configuration.  Sorry, I don't remember how.