Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:25:45 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cooling Athlon / Linux App

My Athlon 1.33ghz TBird runs about 41-43 degrees Celsius in Windows
when using a small free utility called VCool, about 53-55 degrees
Celsius without.  (VCool causes the CPU to enter an "idle" state when
it's not being used.  For more, see "How it Works" at
http://www.vcool.de .)  I don't have FBSD set up to give me system
temperatures, but temperatures shown when I boot into Windows after
running FBSD are similar to those I see in Windows without VCool.
(The motherboard remains relatively cool - 29-33 Celsius - no matter
what the CPU temp.  And yes, I do plan to redo my heatsink installation
one of these weekends when I have time.)

VCool has a Linux version available.  Is it possible to install/run it on
FreeBSD?  (I have Linux emulation enabled.)

I'm also wondering whether it might be a Good Thing to have something
similar built into /etc/defaults/make.conf or LINT as a user-selectable
Athlon optimization, or even have it run as a daemon.  The effects on
CPU reliability and longevity of a 12 degree Celsius difference in
operating temperature could be significant.

Jud