Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2023 00:39:11 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Rahul Rameshbabu <sergeantsagara@protonmail.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of the freebsd/crochet project?
References:  <87ttqrqnal.fsf@protonmail.com> <ZS6FAjRlRimUVoWR@int21h> <CANCZdfq%2B4L-guWeEck5OqgFTuXLv%2B6BLOfcDuqVgUSvm7X9SUg@mail.gmail.com> <ZS6PuBrr9wChkhov@int21h> <CANCZdfqAhAeuc-K6O3T-E6FGgy-Lktutc3NSfcmRO5OrhSxYJg@mail.gmail.com> <87wmvjjkae.fsf@protonmail.com> <33693188-5C53-4C9E-8F67-647655E957BD@yahoo.com> <8734y5amia.fsf@protonmail.com> <19481390-118F-4527-BEDC-9935C695A27D@yahoo.com>

<marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> On Oct 18, 2023, at 21:41, Rahul Rameshbabu =
<sergeantsagara@protonmail.com> wrote:
>>>=20
for the different boards into the ports...
>>>=20
>>> The snapshot images booted the RPI4B's that I have access to just =
fine
>>> last I tried such. But release/arm64/RPI.conf and =
release/tools/arm.subr
>>> which are used to build such uses (selective axtractions across =
files):
>>>=20
>>> FAT_SIZE=3D"50m -b 1m"
>>> FAT_TYPE=3D"16"
>>> . . .
>>> gpart add -t efi -l efi -a 512k -s ${FAT_SIZE} ${mddev}
>>> newfs_msdos -L efi -F ${FAT_TYPE} /dev/${mddev}s1
>>>=20
>>> FreeBSD release images are also build with such: efi partition
>>> type and a FAT16 file system.
>>>=20
>>> Looking at a (my abbreviation) RaspiOS64 boot media used to boot
>>> the RPi4B's (official RPi* media content, not FreeBSD materials):
>>>=20
>>> # newfs_msdos -N /dev/da0s1
>>> /dev/da0s1: 523984 sectors in 32749 FAT16 clusters (8192 =
bytes/cluster)
>>> BytesPerSec=3D512 SecPerClust=3D16 ResSectors=3D1 FATs=3D2 =
RootDirEnts=3D512 Media=3D0xf0 FATsecs=3D128 SecPerTrack=3D63 Heads=3D255 =
HiddenSecs=3D0 HugeSectors=3D524288
>>>=20
>>> But it does have a partition type of fat32lba:
>>>=20
>>> # gpart show -p /dev/da0
>>> =3D>       63  468862065    da0  MBR  (224G)
>>>        63       8129         - free -  (4.0M)
>>>      8192     524288  da0s1  fat32lba  (256M)
>>>    532480  468329648  da0s2  linux-data  (223G)
>>>=20
>>> Do you know some specific RPi4B EEPROM content for which a FAT16
>>> file syatem is not supported? (The EEPROM has the RPi4B boot
>>> loader.) Or are you saying some U-Boot vintage is restricted to
>>> FAT32 file systems for loading FreeBSD's EFI/BOOT/bootaa64.efi ?
>>=20
>> Yes, I believe that newer EEPROMs in 2020 and above (don't have the
>> exact release version but I can bisect if we need to know) no longer
>> support FAT16 unfortunately.
>=20
> I just booted a RPi4B Rev 1.5 "C0T" part that has:
>=20
> RPi: BOOTLOADER release VERSION:8ba17717 DATE: 2023/01/11 TIME: =
17:40:52
> BOOTMODE: 0x06 partition 63 build-ts BUILD_TIMESTAMP=3D1673458852 =
serial c740af3c boardrev d03115 stc 421180
> [...]
11,
>> 2023 release (I see they have a new release for Oct 18, 2023).
>=20
> I've not tested the 2023-10-18 release.
>=20
>> On a side note for myself, might be nice to throw the rpi-eeprom =
tools
>> into a port for others to easily grab.
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Or may be you are referencing the partition type (expressed here
>>> in gpart terms), instead of the actual file system type that is
>>> contained? :
>>>=20
>>>    efi                    The system partition for computers that =
use the
>>>                           Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI).  The =
scheme-
>>>                           specific types are "!239" for MBR, and
>>>                           "!c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b" =
for GPT.
>>> . . .
>>>    fat16                  A partition that contains a FAT16 =
filesystem.  The
>>>                           scheme-specific type is "!6" for MBR.
>>>=20
>>>    fat32                  A partition that contains a FAT32 =
filesystem.  The
>>>                           scheme-specific type is "!11" for MBR.
>>>=20
>>>    fat32lba               A partition that contains a FAT32 (LBA)
>>>                           filesystem.  The scheme-specific type is =
"!12" for
>>>                           MBR.
>>>=20
>>> (It has been some time since last I tried it, but last I tried
>>> partition type fat16, the RPi4B's boot from it just fine if I
>>> remember right. But GPT is supported, not just MBR.)
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I am not referring to the partition type rather than the real =
filesystem
>> type, but thanks for checking. In my boot flow with the image I
>> generate, I am using the efi partition type.
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Not for the actual file system for any fairly modern vintage of
>>> RPi4B EEPROM content or U-Boot that I'm aware of. I've less
>>> certainty about the range of partition types, not having tested
>>> such in recent times.
>>>=20
>>> Is there a chance you are using so large of an msdos file
>>> system that a FAT32/FAT32LBA file system is a requirement?
>>=20
>> Great question but I believe that is not the case since for the same
>> msdos file system (though with different components from =
rpi-firmware),
>> I am able to boot the Raspberry Pi 3 up correctly. Let me verify once
>> more FAT16 (the filesystem) was indeed problematic for me since I was
>> debugging other issues like not realizing the Pi 4 needed different
>> components from the rpi-firmware project compared to previous boards.

One more point: the 1st Capture.JPG image shows:

c-count 0 c-size 0 r-dir 0 r-sec 0

As I understand it, that is showing that the information was corrupt
as read: valid FAT16 would not have that combination.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com