Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 05:47:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exporting Filesystems Securely

Edirol wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > I'm looking for a way to export my filesystems from one computer to another
 > but I'd like all the data to be encrypted.
 > [...]
 > I hear there is a way to use ssh to perform the encryption but how can I
 > export the filesystem without using NFS? Are there alternatives?

ssh has a feature to "tunnel" arbitrary ports through an ssh
connection.  In theory this should work with any TCP-based
protocol (I don't think it would work with UDP-based protocols,
since they're connection-less).  NFS can use either UDP or TCP,
so in theory it should be possible to tunnel it through ssh.
The problem is, however, that ssh/sshd is a "userland" program,
while significant parts of the NFS implementation are handled
by the kernel.  In other words: it would probably require some
serious kernel hacking.

Another possibility is to use encryption on the IP level.  For
example, have a look at SKIP:  /usr/ports/security/skip.  SKIP
is completely transparent, and any application can immediately
benefit from it without modification.  Furthermore, it is
state-less, just like NFS.

(Disclaimer:  I haven't tried to do NFS over SKIP myself.  But
it sounds like it's what you're looking for.)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)