Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 2020 16:32:23 +0000
From:      Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Using OpenBSD guest as PF firewall

Is there a How-To or a Handbook article for using an OpenBSD guest as a
firewall for a FreeBSD host?  I have enabled pci-passthru and the
OpenBSD guest can use the functional FreeBSD NIC hardware and has a
hostname.vio0 configured with an IP address and netmask.  I have created
a public switch on the FreeBSD side and have added tap0.  I can connect
both from and to the OpenBSD / FreeBSD host by their respective IP
addresses.  These addresses both use the same subnet.  I can't connect
anywhere else from the FreeBSD host.  The OpenBSD guest has an open
pf.conf file to pass all packets to from vio0 to my re0 NIC.

The OpenBSD system is version 6.8 and the FreeBSD is Current r367054.
It looks like I need to create a bridge somewhere, but can't find the
proper commands to make one.  I have read a few instructions, but none
of them use commands from the vm-bhyve port.  I found that is always a
good idea to not 'mix and match' these methods.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1