Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2023 17:30:09 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Subject:   Re: How poudriere's PACKAGE_FETCH_WHITELIST should work?

On Feb 15, 2023, at 16:28, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:
>=20
> On 15/02/2023 22:02, Mark Millard wrote:
>> Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz> wrote on
>> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 19:50:59 UTC :
>=20
> [..]
>=20
>> TMPFS_BLACKLIST=3D"rust"
>> TMPFS_BLACKLIST_TMPDIR=3D${BASEFS}/data/cache/tmp
>> (Of course, the file system for TMPFS_BLACKLIST_TMPDIR
>> needs to have sufficient space available for whatever
>> combination of blacklisted ports might be building
>> at the same time.)
>=20
> Thank you for pointing this out, I will try to set TMPFS_BLACKLIST, it =
seems useful!

Reviewing the material in /usr/local/etc/poudriere.conf.sample
every so often can sometimes lead to useful discoveries. In
this case, it reports:

# List of package globs that are not allowed to use tmpfs for their =
WRKDIR
# Note that you *must* set TMPFS_BLACKLIST_TMPDIR
# EXAMPLE: TMPFS_BLACKLIST=3D"rust"

# The host path where tmpfs-blacklisted packages can be built in.
# A temporary directory will be generated here and be null-mounted as =
the
# WRKDIR for any packages listed in TMPFS_BLACKLIST.
# EXAMPLE: TMPFS_BLACKLIST_TMPDIR=3D${BASEFS}/data/cache/tmp

>> (Note: my familiarity is with poudriere-devel .)
>=20
> Yes, I am on poudriere-devel too.
>=20
> [..]
>=20
>>> But the mystery is that "poudriere bulk" failed on building rust =
even if
>>> it should be used from fetched package:
>> A possibility for the type of issue:
>> Using 1.66 vs. 1.67 as an example, there was a time frame when
>> the most recent package available to download was 1.66 based
>> but the port had been updated to 1.67 . The package for 1.67
>> showed up later after the FreeBSD build-server poudriere
>> bulk activity and the distribution to the download server
>> that you happen to (potentially) use.
>> So it might have downloaded 1.66 but discovered that the ports
>> tree involved was at 1.67 instead.
>=20
> I am using quarterly to avoid fast moving targets. Local ports tree is =
2023Q quarterly, poudriere is set up to use quarterly packages for fetch =
too:
> PACKAGE_FETCH_BRANCH=3Dquarterly
>=20
> The fetched rust was 1.66.0 and the built one is 1.66.0 too. That's =
why I am confused with this behavior.
>=20
. . .

That and the rest of your notes indicate that mine notes
on the subject really do not apply to your context.

So my somewhat off-subject tmpfs notes were likely more
useful.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com