Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:52:15 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@toy.chip-web.com>
To:        renegade@unforgettable.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 to 3.1-STABLE

At 09:30 PM 4/25/99 , Renegade wrote:
>I want to upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.1-STABLE, but am unsure how to do it.
>I configured CVSup and grabbed the STABLE tree, but was unable to do a
>"make buildworld" successfully.  If somebody could point me to some
>documentation or if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.
>
>Steve
>renegade@unforgettable.com

2.x to 3.x upgrades need to use 'make upgrade', 'make aout-to-elf' or 'make
aout-to-elf-build && make aout-to-elf-install'. After that, you can use
'make buildworld'. Be sure to install mergemaster from the ports collection
first, so that you can update your /etc files (or read ``Making the world''
your own at
http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html,
paying special attention to 'Update /etc'). IIRC, you can skip the 'Update
/dev' section because the upgrade process will do that for you.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441