Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2018 02:15:45 -0600
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Subject:   Re: why does buildworld fail on stable/11 ?

     On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:42:58 +0000 lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>On 22/01/2018 09:17, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>     Anyway, I'm stuck.  Can someone please tell me what is going wrong and
>> how to fix it?  I'd really like to be able to update my system, not only to
>> keep it reasonably current, but also to be able to customize a kernel.  Thanks
>> in advance for any suggestions/solutions.
>
>Hi,

     Thank you for responding with your thoughts on this.

>What I'd do is firstly to make things as simple as possible. First do
>the upgrade simply. Either delete or call make.conf & src.conf something

     Okay.

>else. Then get a fresh src  and ports tree via svnlite. Then do

/usr/src has not been altered since I ran the checkout.  Is there some reason
to use svnlite rather than svn, which is how I did the checkout?

>rm -rf /buildwork/ccache.freebsd
>mkdir /buildwork/ccache.freebsd

     I'm not following your thinking here.  If I've eliminated /etc/make.conf
from the picture, then ccache is not involved at all, so why should I wipe out
the cache contents?

>then
>
>[/usr/src #] make cleandir && make clean && make buildworld && make
>buildkernel && make installkernel && mergemaster -p

     At this point, that looks very optimistic, to say the least. :-)  I've
tried "make cleanworld" (with /etc/make.conf still in place), and it failed
exactly like the buildworld example I posted before.

>[make changes if needed]
>
>[/usr/src #] make installworld && mergemaster
>
>[make more changes if needed]
>
>reboot
>
>then cd into /usr/src as root, then do
>
>yes | make delete-old
>yes | make delete-old-libs

     What do you expect the above to accomplish on a freshly installed system
on which no obsolete directories or libraries from a previous release should
exist?

>reboot again
>
>then re-enable your extra lines in make.conf and src.conf, if you need them.
>
>It may be down to something in the ccache dir, I guess.

     I will try it with no /etc/{make,src}.conf then just to find out what
will happen, but I will still need a way to build from source with ccache
involved in the process for normal use because it typically cuts the build
times by 50% - 75% from the usual five or six hours elapsed time.
     Thanks again for your suggestions.  I will try it without
/etc/{make,src}.conf and report back.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *