Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 02:37:59 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
Cc:        Nicolas <list@rachinsky.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and fragments

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 05:50:02PM -0700, Dragos Ruiu wrote:

> > > Is there a way to make ipfw to reassemble fragmented ip packets before passing them through the rules?
> >
> > No. The relevant bits are only in the first packet.
> >
> It could be made to reassemble them,
> but it would incurr a performance hit.

What do you gain? Nothing that I can think that ipfw currently
tests for is in the non-initial fragment.

If we tested for length of data or something like that (on
my list), it might become relevant, but not really. ipfw
examines data on a packet-by-packet level.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org