Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 02:46:26 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Build of latest pan fails

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 07:57:29PM -0500, Ade Lovett wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 01:08:47AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Building of the latest version of news/pan fails:
> >
> > [snip]
> > # pkg_version -v | grep glib
> > glib-1.3.1                  ?   multiple versions (index has 1.2.8,1.3.1)
>
> Don't do that.  glib/gtk 1.3.x is development code, not suitable
> for prime time, and will trash your hifi, steal your car, empty
> your bank account, and do other bad things.  The fact that the code
> was looking for something called glib12-config (note the "2") should
> have been something of a tiny clue as to what the problem was.
> The second tiny clue would have been found in the devel/glib13
> Makefile:
>

> NO_LATEST_LINK= "Unstable, development version."
> >>>>>

> Now, rip glib-1.3.1 (and gtk-1.3.x if installed) out of your system,
> install glib/gtk 1.2.8 (*stable* versions), and everything will be
> just fine, and I'll feel a lot better.  (You'll notice that bento,
> which uses 1.2.8, seems to have no problem building this package,
> always a good first step to check before having a problem with something).

Thanks for the quick reply. I already checked the ports tree and found
1.2.8 so installed that instead, then it barfed on gtk (again v1.2.7
installed). I installed gtk-1.2.8 and, hey presto, pan built, but why does
the dependency checking not pick up the fact that these 2 libs are out of
date?

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie