Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ejs@bfd.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asthetic Issues

 * Yes, but I can't change it at the Makefile level.  The paths to all the
 * directories are built at runtime by appending the directory name onto
 * JED_ROOT, which can be overridden at program launch time.

That sounds totally broken! :<

 * So I either rut through the source for a program I don't understand, or
 * keep at least bin and lib in the same directory, and given all the *.sl
 * files that get generated, I certainly don't want to dump all those in
 * /usr/local/lib :-)

Uuh.

 * 	4) try to track down everyreference to the variable JED_ROOT gets
 * 		copied into, and modify each occurance depending on what
 * 		is being looked for.

You mean set JED_ROOT=/usr/local during compile, right?  You can do
this by CONFIGURE_ENV and/or MAKE_ENV.

Anyway, you already know bin and info can just be appended to
JED_ROOT, so no source changes are necessary for those two.  For lib
and doc, I guess you need to change it to add a "/jed" at the end.

If that's too hard, just put it in /usr/local/jed or .../lib/jed.
It's not our intention to make your life too hard, I was just trying
to find out how hard it is. ;)  (For most ports, it's surprisingly
easy...but not for this one I guess. :< )

Satoshi