Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:10:23 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        Andy Firman <andy@firman.us>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/etc/rc.d  vs  /etc/rc.conf question

--On Thursday, December 02, 2004 07:39:00 AM -0900 Andy Firman
<andy@firman.us> wrote:

> I just took over a FreeBSD box and there is a
> proftpd.sh script in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory.
>
> There is also this entry in /etc/rc.conf:
> proftpd_enable="YES"
>
> There is no need for entries in /etc/rc.conf
> if the script exists in /usr/local/etc/rc.d right?

If you remove the /etc/rc.conf entry, you can still start the daemon
manually (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd.sh start), but it will not start on
boot.

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-rcng.html>;

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer