Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:39:45 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org, Martin Sugioarto <nakal@web.de>
Cc:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/119204: [patch] editors/OpenOffice.org-2 v2.3 loops when file opened

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:00 pm, Martin Sugioarto wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/119204; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Martin Sugioarto <nakal@web.de>
> To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
> Cc: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>,
>  Marcin Cieslak <saper@saper.info>,
>  Maho NAKATA <chat95@mac.com>
> Subject: Re: ports/119204: [patch] editors/OpenOffice.org-2 v2.3 loops when file opened
> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:26:49 +0100
>
>  Hi all,
>
>  I switched to Gnome2 and same openoffice.org-2 installation that (still) does
>  not work with KDE3 runs perfectly with Gnome2.
>
>  It seems something at KDE3 is not working correctly.

If the brakes on your car don't work when going down hill you don't usually blame
the hill.

I don't run Gnome or KDE. My windows manager is CTWM and this exhibited exactly the
same problem until I rebuilt OO with the patch.

It seems to me that the problem is in Openoffice and that it fails to initialise
something which Gnome happens to do for it.

>  Simple workaround:
>  If you really need to work with OpenOffice, simply don't use KDE.

As I suggested above KDE is not the problem; you need the patch or to run under Gnome;
not just avoid KDE.

>  I don't know what is going on there. Perhaps the KDE team will be interested
>  in this PR.

OK, so I am out of my depth as to the detail of the problem but it seems to me
quit illogical to lay the blame on KDE, which incidently I don't like but I also
don't think much of Gnome. Both follow the Microsoft style, which is OK
if that is what suits you, but then why not use a Microsoft system.

>  --
>  Martin

Malcolm Kay