Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 14:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frankenstein Port:  /usr/ports/www/jakarat-tomcat

In article <3B097C5B.3434C74@urx.com>, Kent Stewart  <kstewart@urx.com> wrote:
> "David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:
> > That's just it I believe the problem is fixed, or at the cvs one, not the
> > cvsup one(if there is a problem with cvsup).  Once you delete your checkout
> > file all is well and "fixed"
>
> No, it isn't fixed or at least because a very recent update from cvsup13
> doesn't work. The first thing it does is checkout the two patch files and
> tomcat.sh. Then, it tries to delete the directory, which fails because it
> isn't empty.

Let me try to clear up the confusion.  There's a combination of
things going on.

1. There was a problem in the CVS repository.  I fixed that manually
during the weekend.  The repository is fine now.

2. My manual fix of the repository provoked a bug in CVSup which is
affecting some people.  I had run a bunch of tests before making the
repository fix, but my tests were inadequate to find this particular
problem.  I know more or less what is happening and will be able to
fix the bug, but you shouldn't wait for that.  You should work around
it (see below).

3. The nature of the bug is such that it creates a bogus entry in
the checkouts file.  That causes the problem to keep happening until
the checkouts file is repaired manually or removed.  I posted
instructions on how to fix the file in a separate mail.  Basically,
you have to edit the checkouts file and delete all lines containing
"jakarta-tomcat".

4. Removing the checkouts file works too, but it's a sledge hammer
approach and is better avoided.  There's useful information in there,
so it's better not to throw it away.

5. Somebody suggested adding an entry to the refuse file to ignore
the jakarta-tomcat port.  That probably hides the problem, but it
doesn't really fix anything.  The breakage is still there in your
checkouts file.  Therefore I don't recommend using the refuse file as
a work-around.

John