Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:27:15 -0700
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Andrey Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Ian FREISLICH <if@hetzner.co.za>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network slowness/freez-up since update 10/11

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

Andrey,

I hate to sound rude here, but, if something's broken for you, and you
want that situation to change, barking at developers on current@ is more
likely to result in that code staying broken rather than being fixed.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 08:40:44PM +0400, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> There is nowhere said in this commit that if_de would or ever may be=20
> broken. Everydays something new coming, and this commit is one between=20
> similar others, nothing brings special attention to be aware of. I'll=20
> expect special 'WARNING: de owners' message to current in such situations=
,=20
> i.e. if something is not fixed to work together.

I think your expectations of support are unrealistic here.
FreeBSD is a largely unfunded volunteer open source project.
de(4) has no official maintainer(s).  Patches are welcome.

On the other hand, if you want a commercial level of support, consider
paying for it.

If de(4) functionality is something you cannot live without, then consider
offering a bounty, perhaps teaming up with other people who badly need
de(4) support to match your funds and pool them.

As a device for getting the attention and time of open source developers,
this method works very well, and has been used here as well as in the
OpenBSD community.

Regards,
BMS

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh