Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:55:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        William Kirkland <bill@wek4.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Configuration script [was Re: "Next Generation" kernel configuration?]

On 29-Jul-2004 William Kirkland wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:39:31PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>> Just musing on an idea here:
>>
>> I've been thinking for a while now about trying to write a tool to
>> make kernel configuration easier, sort of a "make config" (as in
>> ports) for the kernel, similar to what's available on some of the
>> Linux distros.
>
> Ok, I have attached some scripts I wrote, to make my life simpler.
> Though I do have some concerns that one should write their own, or
> use the existing structure and tools. I am willing to show what I
> use and share ideas.
>
> If you choose to use this, please give credit where it is due. As I
> have never previously published this, nor anything else. I find the
> GNU GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) acceptable. Use at
> your own risk.

Well, at this point, I'm not at all sure I even want to try to proceed
with working on something like this.  I and several others are of the
opinion that, in their current state, the files used to describe all of
the available kernel options are simply not useable by an automated
system, at least not for the sort of thing I had envisioned.  And I
don't expect that any sort of radical revision of the existing layout
would be greeted too warmly by most of the developers.  :-)

But thanks, I'll take a look at your work.

Conrad

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"