Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:54:54 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Xian <ml-freebsd-newbies@codepad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makein ports

Xian wrote:

>On Wednesday 15 December 2004 13:21, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>

>>Xinizul Xinizul wrote:
>>

>>>Hello all
>>>
>>>I 'm realiced when I install some port I always receive this warning:
>>>
>>>==> Vulenerability check disabled; database not found.
>>>
>>>I'm using RELEASE 5.3 ... with standard settings.
>>>
>>>Is something wrong inmy system ?
>>>
>>>Thanks a lot,
>>>
>>>Xinizul
>>>

>>I forget what makes it do that (think its when you cvsup new ports) but
>>this is normal, nothing is wrong with your system
>>

>What does the vulenerability check do when it does work?

The "vulnerability check" is part of the portaudit port
(/usr/ports/security/portaudit); if you install it, you won't
see this particular message anymore; it will give you other
messages though, if the port has been found to have a
vulnerability issue.

IIRC, "portaudit" checks an xml data feed/page someplace to
see if the port has any recent security advisories.  It
might have been a brainchild of Colin Percival, (also
If I Recall Correctly), who's been busy of late trying to
create some alternative methods for doing some of the
updating and security chores we all need to be doing....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey