Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:12:50 +0800
From:      "Matthew P. Marino" <freebsd@citystamp.com>
To:        Marius Kirschner <marius@agoron.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail question

Wow. You get around. Just saw this on the alt.comp.sendmail. You should have
gotten the reply about the $=w macro. I'm sure this is it as I had a similar
problem (only different in reverse). The ruleset looks at the part of the
address after the @. If that is matched to an entry in the $=w macro then
sendmail considers it local. Sendmail grabs the default data from the hosts file
and/or DNS. It can also be apppended to by a file typicaly sendmail.cw or
local-mail-hosts. run "sendmail -bt" then enter $=w. Also try "3,0
mail@this.dom" where the mail address is one of the ones thats misdeliverd. If
the last line contains "local" you've got to correct that macro issue. Or, write
your own rules (hurl). Try, "nslookup my.mx.com" where my.mx.com is the host
name as it appears in the MX record for your zone. Often IP's are in the $=w
macro and if it matches the IP of the MX that could cause your problem. Wordy
but hopefully helpful.