Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:34:33 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions

David Kelly said on Jun 11, 2000 at 20:21:14:
> Tim Vanderhoek writes:

> > Disagree strongly.  I find the repeated set of opening quote marks
> > particularly useful when reading newspaper articles that include long
> > quote sections.  One person's quoted opinion could (all-the-more)
> > easily mutate into official printed word if it weren't for the
> > repeated marks.
>
> What really bugs me is the tendancy to open the quote but not bother
> with the closing quote mark on the paragraph. Then opening again at the
> start of the next.

But that would suggest two different people speaking.  That's how
you normally denote a conversation in books, rather than a "he
said/she said" in every paragraph.

I think the conventions are fine the way they are.  By the way
what's the convention on brackets extending across paragraphs?
I have seen the same thing done there -- the opening bracket
at the beginning of the next paragraph but no closing bracket
at the end of the previous paragraph -- it looks extremely
odd, though it makes as much sense as the quote convention.

Rahul.