Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:01:41 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@misty.eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Dan Hardiker <dhardiker@eorigen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK v1.5

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:15:27PM +0100, Dan Hardiker wrote:
> > [Lapinski, Michael (Research)]
> > I think your jumping the gun a bit (or I missed something),
> > Sun hasn't even released their 1.5 jdk.
>
> Sorry if that was implied - I should have been clearer.
>
> > How could the fbsd java team create one?
>
> I was meaning once Sun have released the 1.5 JDK, how long is expected
> before a 1.5 JDK is runable on FreeBSD.
>
> e.g. if Sun releases 1.5 JDK on November 10th, we would be looking at a 6 -
> 9 month lead time before a FreeBSD release would be fesable.

There are a number of variables:

1. Release time of binary vs. release time of SCSL code base.  For
   instance, 1.4.2 has been out for a couple of months, but the SCSL
   code release hasn't happened yet.

2. Developer time.  This is the most critical one.  Volunteers have
   time...well, when they have time.  That might be right when its
   released or it might be 6 months down the road.  You've also got
   to factor in the interest level.  People can get burnt out or move
   on to other projects.

So, the best answer is "we have no idea".  However, currently I would say
6 - 9 months is a reasonable time frame, probably closer to 6 if we can
get 1.4 really in good shape before 1.5 is out and the FreeBSD Foundation
continues to help.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org