Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 13:57:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
To:        Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD into larget corp. environment?

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Giles Lean wrote:

> I'm very dubious -- this is fine for the -xyz option is wrong in the
> manual page, but not so good for "my fileserver has rebooted three
> times today".  Try telling the Operations Manager "I've mailed the
> problem report off ...".

    That's why we need a proper trouble ticketing system and a defined
problem escalation policy.  If the phone tech can't solve it within an
hour, it goes to 2nd level.  If they can't solve it within 4 hours, it
goes to a "software engineer" (or whatever would pass as an S.E. in
this imaginary organization).  If another four hours pass, wake up the
gurus.  If after a 24-hour period, absolutely no headway has been
made, I guess we can give the customer Jordan's home phone number.  ;-)
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)