Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:42:00 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        randallS@xmission.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ problems

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 01:05:53PM -0600, randallS@xmission.com wrote:

> The KDE desktop initializes and displays fine, but the mouse jitters and
> jerks and stays in the upper left hand corner of the screen.  It responds
> to input, (when I move the mouse it jerks out of the corner then back in,
> and I cannot control it.  For now I wouldn't mind not using the mouse, but
> I don't know how to make the pointer move without it in KDE (is there
> virtual mouse utility like in X?).

Sounds like you aren't using quite the right mouse type.  If you let
the X server determine the mouse type automatically, it usually does a
pretty good job.  If you're running moused(8) -- ie you have:

    moused_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf -- then something like this in the XF86Config file
should work well:

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    EndSection

Now, if you've got a mouse with all sorts of fancy wheels and rollers,
then there are other options to make all that sort of stuff work.
However, this minimal configuration should give you the basic
functionality.

> During the installation probe of freeBSD there is no option to set the
> display adapter IRQ.  The mouse comes up as IRQ 12 and will not let me edit
> it.  So I think I have an IRQ conflict, but I don't know how to resolve it
> on the pc end or the freeBSD end.  I even tried fooling the BIOS into
> thinking that the display adapter had a different IRQ so that it would not
> occupy IRQ 12.  Alas, to no avail.

Curious.  The IRQ of a PCI device is usually defined by which of the
PCI slots it's plugged into.  Given you've got PnP turned off, you
should get pretty much the same IRQ settings as under WinXP.  IRQ 12
is by all customary usage devoted to the mouse (psm0 device).

> Here is where I could use some help.
> 1.  I need a tool or procedure that I could use to DEFINATIVELY capture
> IRQ, I/O and memory addresses (all I care about is wow they will work in
> freeBSD).

It's captured for you, in the /var/run/dmesg.boot file.  It will
contain details of every device recognised by your kernel.

Another useful couple of commands are:

    pciconf -lv
    pnpinfo

> 2.  A way to view and edit IRQ information on the freeBSD side other than
> the initial installation.  It takes a LONG time to re-install the system,
> when you just want to change one value and test it (something like the
> system probe).  I have re-installed the system, probably 30 times now (I'm
> a little stubborn).

You definitely don't need to reinstall the whole system.  The most you
need to do is compile yourself a custom kernel, install it and reboot.
See chapter 9 of the Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
for detailed instructions.

However, you can set a lot of kernel configuration by modifying the
/boot/loader.conf file --- the loader.conf(5) and loader(8) man pages
describe the syntax, and the man pages for the individual devices
(eg. psm(4)) will tell you all the available options amidst a deal of
other information: look for the ones that talk mention kldload(8).
Note too that playing with loader.conf can be hazardous to the
bootability of your system so pay due care and attention to what
you're doing.

	Cheers, and good luck,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way