Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 13:30:52 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, al@cn.ua
Subject:   RE: Q. Work on boot code for Intel Flash 2 PCMCIA card?

> ----------
> From: 	Alexey Lukin[SMTP:al@cn.ua]
>
> I'm going to make FreeBSD booting from PCMCIA Flash card. Goal is
> FreeBSD-based diskless router with
> serial console and a lot of various network interfaces.
>
> Another solution for this task is to produce special ISA board with
> boot
> ROM and flash matrix,
> but I'll do it as "last resort" 'cos of difficulties with co-operation
> in development.
>
> I guess it's much easier to get PCMCIA interface+ flash card and make
> router more powerfull that CISCO or BAY :-)

I think the best solution would be to make an ISA card (yes, ISA,
not PCI because there are many other good things to insert into
PCI slots while ISA slots are commonly unused) that makes interface
to a flash card through a 8K (or some other small) window, exposing
the first 8K of flash memory at boot up. It must be mapped into ISA
hole. This will allow to put the bootstrap code into this area of the
flash memory, that will be automatically called by any BIOS during
boot-up. This bootstrap can then do anything from immediate boot
to simulating a floppy drive. May be a good idea would be to have
two independently mapped 8K or 4K sized windows for convenience of
the bootstrap code.

-Serge