Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 06:57:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freeBSD-net@freebsd.org, Gene Bomgardner <Gene@bomgardner.net>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and troubles with TCP

--- Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
> look at the tcp mssfixup option in ppp

This option is enabled by default in ppp, look what `man 8 ppp` says:

[tcp]mssfixup
    Default: Enabled.  This option tells ppp to adjust TCP SYN pack-
    ets so that the maximum receive segment size is not greater than
    the amount allowed by the interface MTU.

Anyway, I enabled and disabled it manually in my ppp.conf but both
variants didn't help me. RASPPPOE in Win98SE in the same box have
similar option that is enabled by default too. I also didn't see any
difference when I disabled it there. The purpose of this option in both
FreeBSD's ppp and RASPPPOE is fixing MSS of connection between some
LAN's computer and external host when my box is the getway. But I have
no LAN here, my box connected only to my ADSL modem. This is why
'mssfixup' option have no influence in both operating systems that I
have in my computer. But when I use Win98SE with RASPPPOE I have no
problem with www.ssh.com, only when I use FreeBSD I have the trouble
with that host. Moreover, I still can't understand how
MRU == MTU == 1484 (or smaller) solves my problem?
In Win98SE with RASPPPOE I have MTU == 1492.