Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 20:01:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getgrent() and spaces..rr

> I had someone stick me in their wheel group recently and was surprised
> when I still didn't appear in wheel.  Further investigation revealed
> that they'd stuck me in as:
>
> 	wheel:*:john,paul,george,ringo, jkh
>
> See that space?  Well, that was enough to nip the group search in the
> bud.
>
> My question is, before I perhaps dive and try to fix it, is if it's a
> feature or a bug?  Whitespace sensitivity is generally not a good
> thing in configuration files, but there are limits to what one should
> go through in order to deal with it, yes?
>
> 					Jordan

I hate to say it but this is standard Unix.  Changing it would make it
non-standard.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with Unix's use of plain text
database files for admin... But to change it would be to non-Unix FreeBSD.

I've always preferred VMS's authorize command...

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |