Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:25:00 -0230
From:      "Michael Hancock" <mhancock@nfld.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Adam Migus" <amigus@compusult.nf.ca>
Subject:   quota on a mail spool directory - help!

I've got quotas setup on a freebsd 4.1.1 machine.  Here is a snip of my
fstab

/dev/ad0s1f             /users          ufs     rw,userquota    2       2
/dev/ad0s1h             /var/mail       ufs     rw,userquota    2       2

The quota works wonderfully on /users.  It's set to a 3mb limit without a
grace.  I've tested the sh!t out of it and no problems.

My issue is with the mail partition.  According to the "edquota" man page, a
grace of 1 second should indicate no grace period, which works well with my
/users partition, but not for my mail.  Despite an 8mb hard limit without a
grace period, the grace keeps defaulting back to 6 days and allowing more
than 8mb.  As a test, I setup a user called "test" and emailed 2  7mb files
to the user, after the 1st file I ran "quota -v test"

-----
Disk quotas for user test (uid 5246):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
         /users       9       0    3000               5       0       0
      /var/mail    7232       0    8000               1       0       0
-----

after the 2nd file I ran "quota -v test" again

----
Disk quotas for user test (uid 5246):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
         /users       9       0    3000               5       0       0
      /var/mail    7232       0    8000               1       0       0
----

According to the "edquota" man page, a grace of 1 second should indicate no
grace period, which works well with my /users partition, but no for my mail.
Here is the result of running "edquota -t test" (to establish the grace)

----
Time units may be: days, hours, minutes, or seconds
Grace period before enforcing soft limits for users:
/users: block grace period: 1 second, file grace period: 0 days
/var/mail: block grace period: 1 second, file grace period: 0 days
----

Here is the result from running "edquota -u test" (to actually set the
limits)

----
Quotas for user test:
/users: blocks in use: 9, limits (soft = 0, hard = 3000)
        inodes in use: 5, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)
/var/mail: blocks in use: 14456, limits (soft = 0, hard = 8000)
        inodes in use: 1, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)
----

Can anyone help?  Anybody have a similar problem with quotas on a mail
partition or know of a possible reading source?

thx in advance.
Mike