Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:29:58 -0000
From:      "Newton, Harry" <NewtonHa@logica.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Christmas present OR hardware recommendations

I'm going to buy myself a new machine for Christmas to replace an elderly
and skip-rescued Pentium 133.

I was looking at a Thunderbird/Athlon 950 together with either a Asus AV7 or
Abit KT7 motherboard. These boards use the VIA KT133 (Via 686A) chipsets.
The Abit board uses a HTP 370 ide controller, whilst the Asus board uses a
Promise ATA100 ide controller. Having looked at the archives I think there
are a few potential pitfalls, and I was wondering what their current status
is:

+ bug in timer code, means can't use APM
+ DMA access with VIA chipsets: some HD & MB combinations won't work
+ ATA-100 modes: will they work ?
+ memory: some memory won't work well with Athlons.

Or should I stay with Intel ? Related advice is gratefully received.

Thanks, Harry

PS. Can I use a Soundblaster Live 1024 ?