Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 1997 19:56:05 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd failure

> Greetings,
>
> Every morning Cron sends me mail about being unable to restart syslogd.
> He says " could not restart syslogd: No such process"
>
> Manually attempting to start 'syslogd' says "child pid xxx exited with
> return code 1"
>
> Syslog -d says "cannot create /var/run/log: Address already in use
> logmsg: pri 53, flags 4, from arabian, msg syslogd: cannot create
> /var/run/log: Address already in use
> Logging to CONSOLE /dev/console
> cannot create /var/run/log (0)
>
> I'm confused.  Permissions look right.  Any help would be GREATLY
> appreciated.

Yeah! Me too. Same thing was happening on my -current box. And I wasn't
logging to /var/log/messages as a result. What really bugged me was the
fact I got the error message mailed to me every day at 1300. Eventually I
learned something about how -current differs from 2.1.5R in the way it
rotates logs.

Don't know why, but "rm /var/run/log" and restarting syslogd fixed the
problem. Did my filesystem get dirty somehow?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net