Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:18:17 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        bsd@mantas.lt
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Via VT8233a Sound support (?)

In message <000a01c2aa56$0d998730$7a143bd4@runkelej>, you wrote:

>Copying over the files (assuming installed under /usr/src)
>
>	/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/ich.h
>	/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/ich.c
>
>with the equivalents from -stable should allow audio to work on this =
>board.
>Probably the easiest way to get the latest revisions of these files is =
>via
>cvsweb:
>=09
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/ic=
>h.h
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/ic=
>h.c

Ummm... I fetched those files, and there are _no_ differences between
those files and their equivalents, as distributed with 4.7-RELEASE.

Anyway, NEVERMIND!

I just tried playing some .wav files, and the audio output on the Soyo
SY-KT333 works just fine, right out of the box, with 4.7-RELEASE.  (I
haven't tried audio input, or anything more magical that just playing
.wav files, but auto output was all I really wanted to do for now anyway.)

I guess that I should have just tried it before being silly and asking
about it here.  But like I said, the few notes I read online about sound
and the KT333 chipset seemed to suggest that it wouldn't work.  I'm very
glad to see that those reports were not correct... at least not for 4.7.