Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:36:46 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph/atm

Julian Elischer wrote:

> My question is whether there are any boards that can give us the
> physical
> interface to a DSL line so that we can run this ATM code over a DSL
> line?
> It's one thing having the software but the bits need to get out of the
> system somehow.

You mean other than the Lucent DSL boards (which none of you appear
to have?) ?  :-)    No, I haven't had time to look into netgraph'ifying
my driver, and I'm getting pulled in another direction now...  :(

> One thing I just thought about, is that if we are simulating an
> ethernet interface and bridging the packets using mac/llc
> then wouldn;t we require that we have some unique MAC address
> for that virtual interface so that things don't break?

Yes, absolutely.  The Lucent DSL boards get a unique MAC address
programmed into them by the OEM or the board manufacturer, so
that they will work properly in the ethernet bridging modes
(where they appear as an ethernet card to the PC when in those
modes).

> (can we just always use broadcast?)

No.  Only broadcast packets use the broadcast address.

> are the packets multiplexed using destination MAC address?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  In the usual case
where you're only using one VC, the packets are sent through
the channel one at a time, in the order they come down to the
driver.  For multiple VCs, we learn which MAC destination is
connected to which particular VC, and only send the packet
on that VC.  Broadcast packets go out over all active VC's.

Gary