Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:43:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Eric Smith <genocide@adelphia.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install problem

Eric Smith wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> When I try and boot from the boot floppy, I get a strange error about
> not being able to find /kernel, and some other stuff.  The machine is
> an IBM Server 95, so it's an MCA box.  I'd think it might have
> something to do with the proprietary drive controller/floppy drive,
> because I can run it on other computers just fine.  Have you run into
> this before?

Well, yes... It doesn't sound like your floppy drive or controller is at
fault, because the "Can't find /kernel" message indicates that some kind
of valid FreeBSD MBR was found and loaded on the floppy. (1)

Perhaps you are trying to boot the MFS root floppy instead of the kernel
floppy? That is the most likely cause. Boot the kern.flp first, then the
kernel will load and you will be prompted for MFS root.

If that isn't it, maybe the actual floppies are corrupt/not entirely
written. Check the MD5s and dump the images again to a new pair of
floppies.

(1) Though, I'm not familiar with that hardware. Maybe you've got a funny
   "partially working" drive that is giving you this error.. but in that
    case it probably wouldn't be consistent.

- Ryan