Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:15:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound driver structure and configuration

Luigi Rizzo stands accused of saying:
> > > controller sndX
> > >     brings in all the files related to generic sound support for all
> > >     subsystem. This includes, in particular, the mixer, dma code,
> > >     timers, and some support routines.
> > >
> > > device  pcmX    at isa ? port? tty irq N drq D flags F vector pcmintr
> > > device  midiX   at isa ? port? tty flags F
> > > device  synthX  at isa ? port? tty flags F
> >
> > Thes should ideally be "at snd?", eg. like the 'disk' stuff, or just
> > 'device xxx' like the SCSI devices.  They're _not_ "at isa?" in the
> > true sense of the word.
>
> right. But what are the implications of using "at xyz?" ? How do I test
> for a specific bus, etc. ?

I've just been working through this with the parallel-port stuff, as the
ultimate goal there is to produce drivers that will work on any parallel
port.

The way to go for that (at the moment) is like the PCI code; you use a
linker set to create an aggregated list of drivers, which you then
scan with your bus code.

This isn't really ideal for your case though, as whilst there's some
common sound code, there's little or no correlation between the
various component drivers, other than (perhaps) that they are aggregated
together on a single card.

> The identification info should suffice to determine exactly which
> board you have (down to the revision level of the chip) so I think
> there is really little need to "probe" the device; rather, one
> should just run the appropriate configuration commands and deal
> with exceptions the standard way.

ISA device probing should essentially provide additional information
supplementary to that divined by PnP.  Once you have all the "what is
where" information, you can start working out what to do with it.

If using the PnP stuff is of interest to you, you could help me out
with some suggestions for calling 16-bit protected-mode BIOS
interfaces from 32-bit (eg. FreeBSD kernel) mode 8) I have reams of
documentation on various bits and pieces (including the ECSD
interface) which would be _very_ helpful in this endeavour. 8)