Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:30:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Schumacher <schumjs@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with running simple pthreads program under gdb-7.2 (Invalid selected thread)

These replies seemed to dance around the actual issue, I assume this wasn't
resolved?
I have been seeing this lately in gdb7.2 built from ports, and was curious
as to what the real issue was.

excerpt:
[Thread 803855580 (LWP 100241 IPC UDP Socket) ex                  ited]
error: Invalid selected thread.
thread.c:583: internal-error: set_running: Asser                  tion
`tp->state_ != THREAD_EXITED' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session? (y or n) [answered                   Y; input
not from terminal]
thread.c:583: internal-error: set_running: Asser                  tion
`tp->state_ != THREAD_EXITED' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Create a core file of GDB? (y or n) [answered Y;                   input not
from terminal]

I encountered this in:
get_current_frame(~)
I don't think the current_inferior changes after a thread exits. Which could
be okay, but I've noticed that the thread_info for this particular
current_inferior doesn't always exist... Meaning that any time that a
current_inferior ptid leads to a NULL thread_info [via find_thread_ptid(~)],
we will get hosed on an assert.
Any thoughts?