Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 17:54:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        rgb@phy.duke.edu
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG, linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Re: 2.1.8X boot hangs on 2940UW controller...

> Hmmm.  When I search their archive I get only one message that says that
> a P6DLF with a 2940u2w is not detected at boot.  The same message says
> that a P6DLS is probed and detected just fine with the defaults, which
> is also my experience with all the 2.0.3X kernels and all the recent
> (>4.0) aic7xxx drivers.  The kernel I'm writing this message under is
> 2.0.33 with 5.0.7/3.2.2 installed and the onboard 2940UW (as far as I
> can tell) works perfectly.  I also searched on generic 2940UW and
> aic7xxx plus "scanning" hangs, but got nothing like the message I'm
> seeing.

Search for Daniel Berlin, ordered by date.  Read the messages
with subjects "hmmmm" and "AH HAH".

I recognize the fact that you are running fine with 2.0.33, but
I assumed that you were running without SMP.  Perhaps that isn't
the case...

As noted in Daniel Berlins postings, he too can run without SMP.
But with SMP enabled, he gets:

"If i sit there and wait long enough, it starts getting errors on the
 adaptec controller. It continually times out until the kernel gives up,
 decides it can't mount root, and panics.
 I think the adaptec is getting pissed off because it's interrupt was
 reassigned. or, the apic isn't routing it properly.
 It works fine without SMP."

His update to that posting is:

"The problem with the supermicro boards indeed the adaptec controller.
 It's the bios version.
 all the supermicro bioses but one contain version 1.24
 all the ones (newer and older) with 1.24 fail.
 the one with 1.25 (which isn't the newest or the oldest) works perfectly."

It's not too clear from that last posting what BIOS he is talking
about (motherboard or Adaptec).  It sounds like there is one SuperMicro
BIOS version that has Adaptec BIOS version 1.25, and that this one
works.

If it's not the motherboard, I'm clueless...

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org