Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:33:59 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        Matiss Elsbergs <matiss@bkc.lv>
Cc:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Migrating users

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 08:07:12PM +0300, Matiss Elsbergs thus sprach:
> I don't want to.. I want a brand new system (it's the same box, hdd will be
> new..)
>
> So is there a way?

Yes.  Take your old /etc/master.passwd and compare it to the new
one BEFORE you add any users to the new one.  See that there are no
conflicting accounts.  There should not be as all users should come
after the 1000 UID.   Then cut the first part out of the old one.
Use vipw on the new system and read the old file in at the tail.

Also on the old system use your favorite archive tool, tar, cpio,
or whatever, and take the user directories and move them to the new
system.  That way everything will match.

On BSD it's a piece of cake.  I've moved SysV password files after
combing the passwd and shadow files and adding fields to match the
extras ones in BSD. That was a pain   But migrating from one
edition of BSD to another is easy.

I've done this on mail-servers - the biggest pain was moving the
users from Irix to BSD.  Later movement on BSDs systems was easy.

Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com