Date:      17 Oct 1997 14:06:04 -0700
From:      john@lutris.com (John J. Marco)
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I set up SQUAKE???

Thanks for your reply to my query about SQUAKE...  I've managed to
get xquake and xf86quake running on my system without sound, now.  Xquake
seems to not handle color palettes too well, though.  It also appears
that I can't have two X servers at on different virtual consoles,
due to my keyboard and mouse getting hung..  That sounds like an XFree86
shortcoming, though...

As for the sound driver, I could not get the the new guspnp sound driver
or linux_ioctl code to build on my stock 2.2.2-RELEASE system.  I'm wondering
if there are some kernel patches I need, or maybe a newer kernel build
tree...

Amancio Hasty <hasty@no.spam> writes:
> The best place to find out about such topics like quake, sound or video
> for freebsd is to mail to :
> multimedia@freebsd.org
Ok.

> Excerpt from my announcement to the multimedia mailing list :
>
>  Wed, 06 Aug 1997 22:23:36 -0700
>
> You will the latest sound driver:
> ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp.tar.gz
[ snip New guspnp sound driver info...]
I got this package and tried to build it on my 2.2.2-RELEASE
kernel source tree and it didn't compile.  Have you used this
package with 2.2.2-RELEASE.  If not, is there a newer kernel
source base that works on a 2.2.2-RELEASE runtime system?

> For xquake you will need:
>
> 1. a few mods to the linux loadable module so just download it and
>  replace yours:
> cd /sys/i386/
> tar -xzf linux_ioctl.tar.gz
> cd /usr/src/lkm/linux
> make
> make install
> modunload -i 0    (if you have the linux up and running)
> linux
> ftp://rah.star-gate.com/linux_ioctl.tar.gz
I had build problems here, as well.  Mostly VOP_{LOCK,UNLOCK}() macros
that take more than just the single vnode ptr argument.

Thanks.

John J. Marco        | Email: john-netalias@lutris.com
Principal Engineer   | Note:  Replace "john-netalias" with "john" to reply.
Lutris Technologies  | Phone: (408) 471-9753    Fax: (408) 471-9754