Date:      Sat, 19 May 2012 13:13:28 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirror of Raidz for data reliability

On 18.05.12 19:55, Trent Nelson wrote:
> So, my thinking is=8A because both machines can see all disks, the=20
> master could import the zpool as normal, and the slave could import it =

> read-only. (Or not import it at all...)

The proper way of doing it is "not import it at all". ZFS is not an=20
shared filesystem.

If you have the second host mount the zpool even if read-only, you only=20
guarantee that data on the pool will not be corrupted, but you cannot=20
avoid the second "read-only" host panic or otherwise crash if it tries=20
to access data which is no longer where it thinks it is, because the=20
second host doesn't have access to the primary host's in-memory metadata =

about ZFS. Since ZFS is copy on write filesystem, chances are you will=20
be accessing data that is no longer valid. Refreshing the internal ZFS=20
state between two or more hosts is non-trivial (if it was, Sun would=20
have done this, as it suits their usage) and in any case performance=20
will suffer at least as much as an true networked filesystem does,=20
compared to "native" ZFS.

Daniel