Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:17:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Beiter <jwb@fore.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   install from scsi tape prob

I tried to load on 2.2.1-RELEASE from scsi tape recently and it failed badly.
For one, the install screen looked horrible (bad video mode combo with my
orchid kelvin and samsung 17gls?) but the install procedure looks much nicer.

I ftp-ed "2.2.1-RELEASE.tar.gz" from ftp.freebsd.org, untarred the distribution
then created a tar tape and boot disk per the INSTALL instructions.

I had no problems with the partitioning or label proceedure and was able to
select my desired distributions and media with no errors. The install program
proceeded to extract stuff from the tape, *appeared* to finish ok then
abruptly stopped with the error "the following distributions were not found
on the media... bin, blah, blah, blah, blah"... I thought perhaps the 400MB
/usr partition might not be big enough for some reason and tried to just
install the compact distribution option.. still bombed. 2.2.1-RELEASE/bin *is*
on the tape though. I didn't see any other read errors and I'm able to list
the entire tape.

Any help would be appreciated... I need to get this loaner tape drive back.

- JoeB

Joe Beiter                          FORE Systems, Inc.
jwb@fore.com                        Network Integration Services
(412)772-6585