Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 02:55:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, koshy@india.hp.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lmbench IDE anomaly

> > > Anyway, the results showing SCSI being better than IDE are certainly
> > > valid.
> >
> > So we are back to the regular "SCSI is better than IDE" debate...
>
> "Better" as in a "lower system overhead unless you've written a PIO4
> EIDE driver that you haven't shared with the rest of us and overcome
> the interrupt bugs in 3 out of the 4 most popular IDE controller
> chipsets and overcome the PIO4 probe crashing non-PIO4 systems and
> even then, the DMA overhead is slightly higher than SCSI and EIDE
> CDROM's use SCSI commands over the IDE interface anyway" kind of way.
>
> Purely "subjective".  ;-).

On FreeBSD, as long as your bios (at least on my ASUS TPN motherboard)
sets the drive mode to a good one, you get the advantage of the PIO mode
that the bios senses.  On my new 2.5GByte WD Caviar, I get 8-9MBytes
read perf on FreeBSD.  I have been looking at implementing DMA using Garrett's
IDE dma code, but haven't gotten to it yet.

The WD type drives don't/can't take advantage of things like tagged queuing,
and the 2.5Gbyte drive that I have only has a 128K cache.  But, I'll put
my 200usec or so command overhead against any AHA2940/Atlas drive anytime.
In some ways, the EIDEs are pretty impressive.

Bottom line, the EIDE drives do appear to be slower in many if not most
respects than a very good SCSI drive, but my 2.5Gbyte Caviar is almost
always faster than my 2Gbyte SCSI Hawk.  (With perhaps a little more
overhead -- but maybe not.)  With the 2.5Gbyte Caviar's being
about $400US in wholesale, with no SCSI adapter needed, they are probably
pretty darned good price/perf for workstation use.

John