Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@angmar.mel.cybec.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/7995: New Port: OpenLDAP 1.0.1

The following reply was made to PR ports/7995; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@angmar.mel.cybec.com.au>
To: Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:37:43 +1000 (EST)

 On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

 > On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 10:07:22AM -0400, Lachlan O'Dea wrote:
 > > > There should not be any (_any_) manpages listed in pkg/DESCR.  Remove
 > > > them.  Use either MANx or MLINKS as appropriate.
 > >
 > > I wasn't sure what to do with the symlinked ones, so I did the same thing
 > > as the existing LDAP port.
 >
 > I'm not sure what you did with the symlinked manpages...  All manpages
 > that are linked (sym or hard) should be listed in the MLINKS variable.
 > MLINKS is a list of manpages, like this,
 >
 > MLINKS=	ldap_real.3 ldap_link.3

 Sorry if I'm being dense, but my reading of MLINKS is that it it's used to
 get bsd.man.mk to make a hard link from ldap_real.3 to ldap_link.3. The
 OpenLDAP build process compresses the man pages and then makes the
 symlinks itself, so I didn't think MLINKS applied here.

 In my first try, I did what the existing port did (put them in PLIST), but
 in the second one I just listed all of them in MANX. This seems to work
 (probably because the port is MANCOMPRESSED).

 > > sed 's/^X//' >openldap/files/manpages << 'END-of-openldap/files/manpages'
 > > XMAN1+=	ldapadd.1
 > > XMAN1+=	ldapdelete.1
 > > XMAN1+=	ldapmodify.1
 > > XMAN1+=	ldapmodrdn.1
 > > XMAN1+=	ldapsearch.1
 > > XMAN1+=	ud.1
 > > XMAN3+=	cldap.3
 >
 > This file should be sorted.  Just run the whole thing through sort(1)
 > and it should come out right.
 >
 > The reason for this is that it makes reading diffs between versions
 > easier.

 I did sort it with straight sort(1), which means I ended up with it sorted
 by section, then by filename. That's ok, isn't it?