Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.co.uk>
Cc:        will@physics.purdue.edu, libh@FreeBSD.org, richy@apple.com, Antoine.Beaupre@lmc.ericsson.se, Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   Re: packagetool.tcl

On 22-Jun-01 Paul Richards wrote:
>> Actually, you need a binary of the libh TCL interpreter.
>> OTOH, you also need a binary of cvsup to follow src, I think it's
>> quite similar.
>
> I don't think there's too much wrong with the pkg management tools becoming
> ports as long as there's a way to bootstrap installing the pkg management
> tools :-)

And if the base system is a package?  How does it get installed?

> Maybe I miss understood your explanation but I got the impression that a
> package would have embedded tcl code in it to perform certain tasks, so it
> would not be impossible to write a pkg_add in Perl because Perl wouldn't be
> able to run the bits of embedded tcl in the package, at least not without
> calling tcl and the end result is still the same, the packages won't be any
> use without a tcl interpreter.

Yes.  You can backend what the Tcl interpreter ends up performing for certain
actions however you like.  The new packages don't run loose on the system with
root privs like the old ones do now.  Instead, they are forced into a Tcl
sandbox that the sys admin gets to configure to determine what actions packages
may perform.