Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:59:03 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backups - Many FreeBSD Machines

In the last episode (Jul 10), Randy A. Katz said:
> Hello,
>
> I have around 40 production servers running FreeBSD. Each machine
> uses around 3-4 Gigabytes of space that needs to be backed up (on 3
> partitions). I need some suggestions as to what to do, here are some
> of my options:

For your situation, Amanda and a high-capacity (DLT or mammoth) tape
drive might be a good solution.  It will do regular dump-style backups,
stagger the level 0 dumps across all the tapes in your backup sets, and
modify dump levels based on disk space.  It looks like a great system
for backing up many machines with a relatively small amount of storage
per-filesystem.

Now, if anyone could tell me how to back up my servers, with 2 60-gig,
4 45-gig, and 7 20-gig partitions, onto this DLT 7000 autoloader I have
here, I would be ecstatic. :)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com