Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:33:24 -0500
From:      bob@sfcei.com
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ftp transfer rates on my LAN

Just my .02 here. IIRC, Windows seems to max out around 1472 for the MTU,
otherwise there are lots of collisions on the net. I set the MTU on my FBSD
box to 1472 and no collisions. This may affect your throughput, if only
marginally.

Bob

"Duke Normandin" writes:
> I'm kinda like a monkey trying to copulate a football/soccer ball when it
> comes to my new toy --- my mickey-mouse 10baseT LAN ;,)
>
> Anyway..... ftped my first file from win95 to 3.3R box. I'm curious about
> the transfer rate that follows:
>
> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'dr703.exe'.
> 226 Transfer complete.
> ftp: 6243908 bytes sent in 18.40Seconds 339.34Kbytes/sec.
>
> Is this an acceptable transfer rate? If it's not, is there anything that I

> can do with my existing hardware - 3c509 <CAT 5e x-over> Compaq Netflex ?
> Would setting both to full duplex (if possible) help? Tia....

Its not unusually low, but it is about 1/3 what 10baseT can do. After
pushing the file, try pulling another copy (to another filename) back.

To your credit, your file was large enough to be a good test. Often
newbies test on 100k files or something equally trivial.

My gut feel is the Win95 machine is not going to run any faster. Then
again you don't say what CPU's are used.