Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jeffe@ichips.intel.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/4014: package/port installation obeys roots umask

>Number:         4014
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       package/port installation obeys roots umask
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        2.2.2-RELEASE
>Environment:
FreeBSD pdxnm00.jf.intel.com 2.2.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE #1: Fri Jun 27 16:59:55 PDT 1997     root@pdxnm00.jf.intel.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/NETM  i386

For various reasons, we give root a umask of 077.  When we install
packages or ports, the items installed follow this umask, and end
up only useable by root.

While I can understand this behavior, it is not the behavior
I would expect.  What I expect is that a package is installed
to a known state that is generally useful.  By having
dependencies on root's environment, you add steps to supporting
packages/ports because you need to consider if maybe the
installation environment (which may not exist anymore) is
what is causing the problem.

>How-To-Repeat:
# umask 077
# /stand/sysinstall
[install something, e.g. unroff]
# ls -l /usr/local/bin/unroff
-rwx------  1 bin  bin  184320 May 18 03:15 /usr/local/bin/unroff
# pkg_delete unroff-1.0.2
# umask 022
# /stand/sysinstall
[install it again]
# ls -l /usr/local/bin/unroff
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  184320 May 18 03:15 /usr/local/bin/unroff

>Fix:
This can be fixed in several places.  I would suggest that the
umask be set to a known value early in the package installation
process, perhaps in pkg_add.

At the very least the umask should be tested and a warning should
be issued if the umask is not what is assumed.