Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:04:43 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   keymapping continued ...

Morning...

	Got a couple of suggestions, and have tried both, with the
xkeycaps appearing to be the more practical for what I'm trying to get
done, I think.

	From reading the xkeycaps man page, its a frontend for xmodmap,
but reading *its* man page pretty much got me nowhere fast, so I'm going
to try again with an example, as it might be that I'm just missing
something...

	I need to build a keyboard map such that:

      F1 == ESC OP
      F2 == ESC OQ
Shift-F1 == ESC [31~
Shift-F2 == ESC [32~

	Now, in xkeycaps, it allows me to "remap" keys but gives you a
fixed list of what it wants.

	Now, looking at the output of the infocmp command someone
previously suggested for going from terminfo->termcap, I can see the
sequences:

	k1=\EOP

	Which says that F1 sends out \EOP (ESC OP)

	Now, if I add the vt221 entry generated by infocmp, do a 'set
term' and telnet over to the remote host where I need to run the app, and
do a 'set term' over there, and hit 'F1', it generates ESC [11~ instead of
the ESC OP that I'm trying to tell it to send...

	So, I'm guessing that I have to do an 'xmodmap' vs a termcap
entry?

	If so, how would I build up the above?  I need to do F1-F12 +
Shift_F1->Shift_F12 for this to be feasible.

	If I have to install some sort of 'terminal package' for him to be
able to do this, this is acceptable, we just need to get the map'ngs
themselves working...

	Hopefully this makes a bit more sense?

Thanks...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org