Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:50:32 -0800
From:      David Finkelstein <davef@xcert.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cards and IRQs

Is there any guidance to selecting IRQs besides "whatever works"?  It
seems to me that some cards just want to use certain IRQs and will not
be happy unless they get them.

I have a 3Com Megahertz 3CC589ET in my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300
running FreeBSD 4.0, and I had terrible ethernet performance.  FTPs
would stall (consistently) after 16648 bytes; smaller gets would see
1.95 KB/sec transfer rates; traceroutes to my local router gave times
over a second; pings to a box plugged in to the same hub would show
70% packet drop and min/avg/max/stddev times of 65654/80804/95954/9033
ms.

After much kernel rebuilding and pccard.conf file editing, I finally
hit on a combination that worked: Force the pcic0 IRQ to 3 in the
kernel config and set the card IRQ to 10 in pccard.conf.

My current configuration forces pcic0 to IRQ 15 so I can have IRQ 3
for my Adaptec 1460.  I sometimes wonder about my configuration though
since most people seem to have pcic0 at IRQ 10.

Thanks,

--- David