Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:15:30 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Xpression <admin@atenas.cult.cu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sending mail question...

On 07/01/04 16:11 -0500, Xpression wrote:

>>        Hi list, I've a little bit confused, I have a mail server running
>>Exim as MTA, now what about if I want to send mail with another server to
>>some mailboxes on the server running the MTA...I think I've to install a
>>client or something like that ??? Thanks...

I'm not completely sure what you're asking, so might be barking up the
wrong tree or telling you stuff you know, but to make a FreeBSD machine
running Exim be the mailserver for your domain(s) you need to:

1. Edit the Exim config file to identify the domain(s) you want it to
handle as local, and to ensure that delivery rules are as you would wish.

2. Make sure there is a valid mx record in the dns entry for the
domain(s) identifying your Exim-running server as the message exchanger.

And it should work. To test the Exim setup (before updating the DNS
records), you can telnet to the smtp port on the FreeBSD/Exim machine
and compose an e-mail to a valid recipient on that box using the command
line. If it's delivered successfully, update the DNS. Then, after a
propagation interval of a day or two, you will be able to send mails to
that machine from anywhere.

If you simply want to send a mail to your Exim server using another
FreeBSD machine, you've been answered already by others though,
regardless of the mail client you choose, your Exim machine will still
need to be the mx for your domain in the DNS records if you want to
address the mails to a user@domain in the normal way.

PWR