Date:      Fri, 26 May 2017 13:05:50 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        mtiger <mtiger090@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS root on single SSD?

I ran out of ports like you, but decided to go for a sas card instead of
usb. You can get them fairly cheap on ebay, just make sure you get a 6gbit
HBA one, not a raid variant. Then put the data drives on it and put the
boot drive on the MB sata.

This is a 3Gbit one and is cheap, and may be good enough for you needs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25R8071-IBM-LSI-HBA-SAS-Raid-Controller-PCIe-PCI-Express-/292075317522?hash=item44010ba912:g:PLMAAOSw2gxYrA8-&autorefresh=true

the faster version.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LSI-SAS9212-4i4e-SAS-HBA-CARD-SATA-SAS-1-EXT-4-INT-6Gbs-68Y7354-46C8935-H3-25326-/292123987576?hash=item4403f24e78:g:eg4AAOSw241YgEyy